Induction is our region's way of welcoming you to Los Angeles and easing your transition into your two-year corps commitment. The weekend is designed to serve as a check-point for your onboarding experience and will be your first opportunity to meet your fellow 2018 corps members, LA staff, and current corps members & alumni. Induction is also the first of three retreats you are expected to attend as a corps member.
Who attends Induction?
- All 2018 corps members are expected to attend one Induction weekend.
- We highly encourage Fall & Winter Cohort to attend either February or March Induction as these weekend best align with the completion of your Onboarding action items. Spring Cohort will attend either March or April Induction.
When is Induction?
- Induction occurs before you head to Institute. The dates are:
Please register for a weekend no later than Friday, January 5.
What is the general purpose of Induction?
- Building a sense of connectedness: focusing on getting to know fellow corps members and sharing about yourself so others can know who you are.
- Deepening our understanding of self: reflecting on one’s assumptions, beliefs, values, commitments, and convictions as part of the learning, teaching, and leadership process.
- Growing our socio-cultural consciousness: continuing to develop our sense of the power dynamics, often rooted in race, class, and privilege, at the core of our work and the need to empower students and families with knowledge and skills to advocate.
- Looking ahead: reflecting on your onboarding experience thus far and looking ahead to next steps and action items before heading to Institute.
Where is Induction?
- Both February & April Induction will be hosted at Camp Hollywood located in Griffith Park, Los Angeles. Corps members will stay over-night and on the premise, with the exception of an outing on Saturday night.
- The location of March Induction will be announced soon.
Is housing provided?
- Yes, housing is provided for all corps members at our retreat facility and paid for by Teach For America. Our organizational policy is for corps members to share rooms. If you have rooming requirements, please email us in advance.
Are meals provided?
- Yes, all meals are provided during Induction and paid for by Teach For America. You will be able to share your food preferences & restrictions in an upcoming logistics survey.