About Alliance College-Ready Public Schools
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools is the largest nonprofit charter school organization in Los Angeles, serving nearly 13,000 low-income scholars across 25 free public middle and high schools on 28 campuses. In our 14th school year, Alliance has a proven record of success: though our scholars come to Alliance on average four grade-levels behind in reading, 95% of Alliance graduates have been accepted to college—including 77% to a four-year university in 2017. We strive to truly change the life trajectories of our scholars and communities, with a goal of 75% of Alliance graduates completing a four-year college degree. We also value our people, illustrated by being in the top 10% of Gallup’s global Best Place to Work survey.
Join us at Alliance and you can expect to be part of an innovative organization made up of talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want strong collaborators, skilled communicators, and avid problem solvers who are comfortable in a culture of continuous learning and who are excited to implement fresh ideas and unique solutions in service of our scholars and families. Now is the time to join us and make long-lasting change across Los Angeles.
The College Success Coordinator is responsible for supporting students through their transition to college, leading to improved summer melt, college persistence and graduation rates. As a result, this position’s responsibilities fall into three domains: 1) high school support, 2) the Alliance Mentorship Program (AMP) and 3) alumni tracking and support.
High School Support – The College Success Coordinator will develop and execute a plan that supports counselors and school administrators at five school sites, ensuring that high school seniors successfully transition to college. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare and disseminate information regarding admissions, applications, financial aid, testing and matriculation processes to students, parents, and community members through group presentations and individual meetings
- Provide guidance relating to college major and course selection, career aspirations, academic goals, and college choice
- Analyze high school-specific data to make recommendations to school administrators that lead to higher college persistence rates such as making adjustments to curricula and expanding or re-focusing college supports provided to students
- Collaborate with High School Counselors to plan and execute community wide variety of transition supports for seniors including: college campus visits, managing students completion of the college matriculation process, completion of financial aid applications, and one-on-one guidance to ensure students understand financial aid packages
Alliance Mentorship Program (AMP) – The Alliance Mentorship Program is a one-year peer mentor college transition program that provides Alliance college freshmen with the support necessary to decrease summer melt rates and increase persistence rates. The College Success Coordinator will be responsible for the implementation, evaluation, and revision of AMP for five high school sites and four colleges. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead the mentor recruitment and selection process for targeted colleges
- Work with school-site staff to identify and recruit potential mentees
- Manage and train up to 40 mentors
- Revise and implement the AMP mentor professional development curriculum to train mentors in leadership, communication, data tracking, and group facilitation skills monthly
- Collaborate with the College Success Team in planning and executing the “AMP College Prep Summit”
- Oversee group mentor-mentee meetings to check for quality and content of exchanges
- Evaluate AMP success through the collection and analysis of survey, transcript, testing, persistence, and other data
- Cultivate relationships with college/university admissions, outreach, and financial aid offices to ensure transition success for our students
- Research scholarship, job, and internship opportunities for graduates and promote through communication channels
- Build relationships with colleges to ensure Alliance alumni are receiving the support needed to persist and graduate
Alumni Tracking and Support – In addition to supporting alumni via AMP, The College Success Coordinator will play an integral role in implementing the alumni outreach and support strategy of the College Success Team. Responsibilities include:
- Support school-site student transition coordinators to assist in meeting yearly alumni tracking and data collection goals
- Develop and support alumni outreach strategies at all Alliance high schools with graduates and manage the collection of data pertaining to college transitions, persistence and degree completion
- Provide direct support to Alliance graduates through individual advisement regarding college enrollment, accessing resources and career readiness
- Other duties as assigned by the Manager of College Success
The Strongest Candidates Will Have/Be:
- Excellent project management and organizational skills – ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Proven ability to work with minimal direction and flexibility to adapt to constantly changing environments
- Excellent interpersonal skills, capable of interacting with professionals in a variety of industries, school administrators, students, parents, and other stakeholders
- Ability to analyze data to identify trends and evaluate program effectiveness
- Desire to work under pressure occasionally, outside of normal workdays and office hours to meet the needs of our students
- Ability to travel as the position generally splits time between home office, school sites, and colleges
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university is required.
- Experience or interest in supporting first generation college students and/or higher education
Compensation and Benefits
Alliance is committed to being a Best Place to Work, where employees find meaning and joy in their work every day, within a culture of collaboration, support, and excellence. Alliance offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience, as well as an employer-sponsored 403b plan annual contribution equal to 5% of regular earnings, and comprehensive health benefits packages, including dental and vision. Alliance covers 100% monthly premiums for individual employees or up to $900/month toward family plan premiums. .