About College-Ready Public Schools
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools is the largest nonprofit charter school organization in Los Angeles, serving nearly 13,000 low-income scholars across 25 free public middle and high schools on 28 campuses. In our 14th school year, Alliance has a proven record of success: though our scholars come to Alliance on average four grade-levels behind in reading, 95% of Alliance graduates have been accepted to college—including 77% to a four-year university in 2017. We strive to truly change the life trajectories of our scholars and communities, with a goal of 75% of Alliance graduates completing a four-year college degree. We also value our people, illustrated by being in the top 10% of Gallup’s global Best Place to Work survey.
Join us at Alliance and you can expect to be part of an innovative organization made up of talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want strong collaborators, skilled communicators, and avid problem solvers who are comfortable in a culture of continuous learning and who are excited to implement fresh ideas and unique solutions in service of our scholars and families. Now is the time to join us and make long-lasting change across Los Angeles.
The Area Business Manager ("ABM") supervises operations for a portfolio of Alliance schools and provides coaching and mentorship to the school operations and office staff. The ABM is a critical role that helps schools establish operational procedures and solve non-instructional challenges so that principals and teachers can focus on educating students. The ABM also works with Home Office staff in the areas of operations, procurement, technology, finance and budgeting, facilities and human resources to identify ways to make school operations more efficient and improve the overall effectiveness of our school services.
- Serve as the main liaison between schools and Home Office for a number of schools in one of Alliance’s regions (known as an “Area”)
- Support the Area Superintendent and School Administration in managing day-to-day, non-instructional school operations: food service, vendor management, enrollment, attendance, procurement and purchasing, safety/security, finance and budgeting, transportation, facilities, information technology, and human resources
- Conduct local program reviews to ensure compliance with federal, state, and authorizer requirements
- Develop and support implementation of operational systems and processes across schools
- Perform data analysis to help Alliance schools make sound operational decisions
- Identify, codify, and share best practices in school operations
- Lead (or co-lead with Home Office team) special projects affecting school sites (e.g., school moving from temporary to permanent facility, improving attendance at schools, student recruitment)
- Support the Vice President of Operations and Chief Business Officer on programs and initiatives
Coaching and Mentorship
- Develop curriculum and implement training for school operations and office staff to maximize efficiency and ensure adherence to compliance requirements
- Provide regular coaching and mentoring to school operations/office staff
The Strongest Candidates will Have/Be:
- Belief in alignment with Alliance's core beliefs and educational philosophy, and a passion for improving urban public education
- Understanding of the nuances of urban school environments and school culture
- Proven track record of effective leadership and ability to navigate complex issues and drive strong performance results
- Experience in a fast-paced, highly analytical environment - with the flexibility to shift responsibilities over time as the role and department evolve
- Strong project management skills with the ability to efficiently manage multiple projects and deadlines, work across departments and functions, and translate strategies from plans to action
- Analytical and critical thinking with an aptitude for finding and using data to identify and solve problems
- Ability to develop and implement internal systems and processes to increase effectiveness and efficiency across multiple functions
- Dynamic interpersonal and teamwork skills that build trust at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to be detail-oriented, organized, and resourceful
- Strong sense of integrity, ethics, and drive to achieve and grow
- Intrinsically curious and not afraid to ask questions or challenge the status quo
- Strong customer service mindset with a sense of humility
- Relentless commitment to, and high standards for, high-quality execution and follow-through
- Ability to treat sensitive issues with respect, empathy, and confidentiality where required
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Spanish fluency a plus
- Travel to and from school sites will be an essential part of this role
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited, competitive college/university is required; MBA is preferred
- At least 4 years of full-time work experience in the private sector and/or K-12 education field; consulting or other strategic, analytical experience preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
Alliance is committed to being a Best Place to Work, where employees find meaning and joy in their work every day, within a culture of collaboration, support, and excellence. Alliance offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience, as well as an employer-sponsored 403b plan annual contribution equal to 5% of regular earnings, and comprehensive health benefits packages, including dental and vision. Alliance covers 100% monthly premiums for individual employees or up to $900/month toward family plan premiums.