About Alliance College-Ready Public Schools
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools is the largest nonprofit charter school organization in Los Angeles, serving nearly 13,000 low-income scholars across 25 free public middle and high schools on 28 campuses. In our 14th school year, Alliance has a proven record of success: though our scholars come to Alliance on average four grade-levels behind in reading, 95% of Alliance graduates have been accepted to college—including 77% to a four-year university in 2017. We strive to truly change the life trajectories of our scholars and communities, with a goal of 75% of Alliance graduates completing a four-year college degree. We also value our people, illustrated by being in the top 10% of Gallup’s global Best Place to Work survey.
Join us at Alliance and you can expect to be part of an innovative organization made up of talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want strong collaborators, skilled communicators, and avid problem solvers who are comfortable in a culture of continuous learning and who are excited to implement fresh ideas and unique solutions in service of our scholars and families. Now is the time to join us and make long-lasting change across Los Angeles.
The Procurement Manager will work closely with the Vice President of Operations to establish a strong procurement organization. This individual will play a key role in the mission-critical work of driving adoption and consistent use of a new Procure-to-Pay software solution for streamlining procurement activities, managing procurement data, and instilling a customer-centric approach to the Procurement Department’s work. Strong attention to detail and mental agility are far more critical to this work than a wealth of procurement experience.
Procurement Strategy & Daily Operations
- Design procurement organization, processes, and technology to best serve Alliance Schools and Home Office.
- Set strategic goals and vision for the procurement function and establish procurement best practices for key activities
- Oversee and support the day-to-day purchasing process across all Alliance schools while strategically using data to empower good, data-driven purchasing decisions.
Vendor and Contract and Management
- Provide leadership in determining Alliance’s strategy for managing vendor relationships and contracts.
- Develop a standardized toolkit and process for key vendor and contract activities
- Conduct large-scale competitive selection and negotiations on behalf of Alliance entities.
- Work strategically with Alliance schools and Home Office teams to identify and develop partner relationships that bring additional value to schools
Procurement Systems & Processes
- Champion the Procure-to-Pay software across all Alliance schools and the Home Office and serve as system administrator.
- Strategically leverage data to improve procurement across Alliance by ensuring data integrity, developing dashboards, and managing key performance indicators.
- Develop capabilities within the Procure-to-Pay software designed to improve workflow between Alliance and vendors/partners.
- Drive organizational compliance to Alliance’s fiscal policies and procedures, and state and Federal regulations
- Develop a deep and detailed understanding of compliance needs and work with the Operations team to develop tools for monitoring and communicating performance to all Alliance schools and the Home Office.
- Develop strategies for continuously improving compliance and compliance activities, including recommending changes annually to the fiscal policies and procedures.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university, in Business, Finance or Engineering.
- Management consulting experience preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the private sector, public sector, and/or education management fields.
- Experience with Coupa software preferred.
Skills, Beliefs, and Mindsets
- Commitment to Alliance’s mission and a passion for improving urban public education.
- Strong leader that approaches work with curiosity and is unafraid of challenging the status quo.
- Excellent business/financial acumen, proficient in leading and setting direction for cross-functional teams, including demonstrated ability to motivate, influence and drive change at all levels of the organization.
- Exceptionally detail oriented with experience efficiently managing multiple projects and deadlines, coordinating work with multiple departments and functions.
- Track record as a strong team player with demonstrated ability to successfully build trusting relationships with staff and stakeholders across the organization.
- Systems thinker with an aptitude for proactively building systems.
- Excellent vendor management skills including demonstrated ability to develop and manage executive vendor relationships.
- Uses analytical and critical thinking skills to solve problems.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and capable of building structure in order to minimize or eliminate unknowns.
- Consistently uses good judgment.
- Strong sense of integrity, ethics, and drive to achieve and grow.
- Strong customer service mindset with sense of humility.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook and Google Apps and ability to navigate new software platforms.
Alliance is committed to being a Best Place to Work, where employees find meaning and joy in their work every day, within a culture of collaboration, support, and excellence. Alliance offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience, as well as an employer-sponsored 403b plan annual contribution equal to 5% of regular earnings, and comprehensive health benefits packages, including dental and vision. Alliance covers 100% monthly premiums for individual employees or up to $900/month toward family plan premiums.