About Alliance College-Ready Public Schools
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools is the largest nonprofit charter school organization in Los Angeles, serving nearly 13,000 low-income scholars across 25 free public middle and high schools on 28 campuses. In our 14th school year, Alliance has a proven record of success: though our scholars come to Alliance on average four grade-levels behind in reading, 95% of Alliance graduates have been accepted to college—including 77% to a four-year university in 2017. We strive to truly change the life trajectories of our scholars and communities, with a goal of 75% of Alliance graduates completing a four-year college degree. We also value our people, illustrated by being in the top 10% of Gallup’s global Best Place to Work survey.
Join us at Alliance and you can expect to be part of an innovative organization made up of talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want strong collaborators, skilled communicators, and avid problem solvers who are comfortable in a culture of continuous learning and who are excited to implement fresh ideas and unique solutions in service of our scholars and families. Now is the time to join us and make long-lasting change across Los Angeles.
The Vice President of Strategy will lead the implementation of the organization’s strategic plan and departmental and school operating plans, all focused on the goals of ensuring Alliance students are prepared to succeed in college, Alliance employees consider the organization a Best Place to Work, and fostering a culture of innovation and excellence. The Vice President will work with Alliance leadership to develop a comprehensive data strategy to define outcomes and measure progress aligned to the strategic plan. The Vice President will also be responsible for overseeing knowledge management and the organization’s project management office. The Vice President of Strategy will report directly to the Chief of Staff, and will manage a small team working across all Home Office divisions and school sites.
- Implement Alliance’s long-term strategic plan in partnership with the Chief of Staff, Cabinet, and Leadership Team.
- Support the development and implementation of departmental and school-level annual operating plans that focus on key initiatives and measures of success across the organization, including benchmarking and monitoring.
- Work in tandem with the Finance Department to develop home office and school budgets to ensure resources are allocated to support the goals and objectives in the strategic plan.
- Manage implementation of large cross-organizational strategic initiatives including staff performance management, budget development, and change management (i.e.identifying critical issues, scoping initiatives, facilitating cross-functional working groups, and creating appropriate work plans).
- Perform analysis and strategic consultation on critical issues impacting the organization. Prepare briefings, memos, or presentations to communicate findings.
- Oversee data analytics and project management functions.
- Lead the organization’s development and implementation of a comprehensive data strategy across the home office and schools that informs progress tracking against the strategic plan and operating plans.
- Provide organizational capacity to ensure that Alliance maintains and deepens its focus on data-driven decision-making and performance management.
- Support department and school leaders in the development of key performance indicators related to the priorities.
- Define, drive, and oversee appropriate analyses to support strategic initiative execution. Analyses include gathering peer and industry intelligence, conducting interviews and observations, building quantitative models, and creating new tools and processes.
- Serve as a strategic advisor to the Cabinet and Leadership Team regarding organizational strategies, initiatives and issues.
- Provide leadership and support of Alliance’s strategic goals, with a strong focus on the strategic vision of the organization.
- Participate as a member of the Alliance Leadership Team.
- Maintain a strong Alliance culture aligned to our core values.
- Master’s degree from an accredited, competitive college/university is required. An M.B.A. is strongly preferred.
- At least 10 years of full-time work experience in the private sector and/or education management field.
- Management consulting experience, strategy consulting experience and/or other executive level strategic and analytical experience. A candidate with both executive operating experience as well as organizational strategy experience is highly preferred.
- Working knowledge of K-12 education is preferred.
- Proven track record of effective leadership and ability to navigate complex issues and drive strong performance results is required.
- Proven track record of developing and implementing effective systems and processes at scale.
- Comfort with, and enthusiasm for using large amounts of data to drive decisions at the team, division, and organization levels.
- Fluency with Excel, Word, PowerPoint and other business and data analytics software (e.g., project management software, STATA, etc).
Skills, Beliefs, and Mindset:
- Belief in and alignment with Alliance’s core beliefs and educational philosophy.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Entrepreneurial spirit to thrive in a fast-paced and achievement-oriented environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop strong relationships with a variety of stakeholders. Ability to effectively coach and mentor staff members, peers, and executive level officers.
- Willingness to go above and beyond to contribute to the success of a dynamic team committed to a new future for urban education.
- Understanding of the nuances of urban school environments and school culture.